Call to Young Composers
The Haarlem Young Composers masterclass, part of the International Summer Academy for Organists, is an ongoing project aimed to encourage young composers to write innovative music for the organ.
For the fourth time the 2018 Summer Academy will again include a series of masterclasses for Young Composers directed by Professor Zsigmond Szathmáry. The selected works will be performed at a festival recital on the Müller organ in St Bavo’s church on Monday July 23rd 2018.
Conditions and further information for Young Composers
- Composers must be under the age of 30 on 1 July 2018
- Compositions must be submitted as pdf file WITHOUT THE COMPOSER’S NAME by April 1st 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The composition will be judged anonymously by an indepentent jury of Dutch composers.
- Announcement of selected compositions: April 30th 2018
- Selected composers are obliged to attend the masterclasses commencing on Monday 16 July 2018 and stay in Haarlem till the recital on Monday 23 July. The Haarlem festival is in principal responsible for engaging young organists to perform the selected pieces. Suggestions for organists are nevertheless welcome!
- For the selected composers the masterclasses are free of charge, as well as accommodation in a private guest house.
Applicants should take good note of the following:
- The submitted composition must be for solo organ and playable on the baroque Müller organ in St Bavo’s church. This three-manual organ has a mechanical key and stop action. Be aware that reverbation time in St Bavo’s church is around 6 seconds! For the stoplist click here. Please note the manual compass (C-c3) and Pedal compass (C-f1). If you are not an organist and still in doubt, we recommend to ask assistance of an professional organist!
- The duration of the composition must not exceed 10 minutes
- The board reserves the right to recall the invitation if entries fall short of expectations. On our Soundcloud page you will find an impression of compositions discussed at the Young Composers masterclass in former years.