The International Masterclass for Young Talents is a high-level course for exceptionally talented young organists hoping to pursue professional studies.
The Fifth International Masterclass for Young Talents will take place from 16 to 28 July 2018. Twelve lessons of two hours each will be directed by several Summer Academy professors. Some of them are public masterclasses. Teaching will be in the English language only.
Applicants for the 2018 Young Talent Masterclass must be born after 1 July 2000 and before 30 July 2006. In some exceptional cases we can deviate from this regulation; please contact the administration.
Most of the masterclasses will take place on the Müller organ in the Bavokerk and the Cavaillé-Coll instrument in the Philharmonie concert hall. Practise organs will be available within the vicinity of Haarlem.
A maximum of eight young organ players between the age of 12-18, who have not yet commenced professional studies, will be admitted. A recording of two pieces, played by the applicant, is obliged and part of the application. Applications, incl. the recording, must be received by 1 March 2018. The recordings will be judged by an independent jury. We will inform you about admittance before 25 March 2018 by email. A warm invitation is also extended to the teachers of those admitted.
The repertoire is free. You can bring pieces from all composers (incl. yourself!) and periods you want to play and discuss. You must notify the organization before 1 April 2018 about which pieces you prepare. If it turns out that some pieces will be played multiple times, we can ask you to change your repertoire.
The course fee for the Young Talent Class is € 250, which includes registration fee. All festival activities will be open free of charge to the admitted Young Talents.
Method of application
A maximum of eight YoungTalents will be admitted to the masterclasses. Application is possible by filling in the Young Talent Application Form.
The following additional information and documents must be received by 1 April 2018:
1. Letter from the applicant's organ teacher including:
- name and age of the pupil
- number of years of organ tuition
- examples of present repertoire
- examples of public activities of applicant (recitals, competitions and prizes)
- the significance of the Young Talents masterclass for the applicant's development
- a declaration that the submitted recording has been made by the applicant
- a (provisional) list of the repertoire that will be prepared
2. Recording of
- a fast movement from one of Bach's Trio Sonatas,
- and one of the following movements from Messiaen's La Nativité du Seigneur: Les enfants de Dieu, Les Bergers, Les Anges or Dieu parmi nous.
3. Letter from the parent or guardian, including
- surname, first name and date of birth of applicant
- surname and first name of parent or guardian
- a contact address, telephone number and email address
- a scan or copy of the passport or identity card of the pupil
The recording (MP3 or WAV) can be transferred by for example WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org . All other information can be uploaded in the Application Form or sent directly to the festival email address. See Contact for all details.